Meet the team: NHS & Veterans Health Administration Collaboration Programme #NHSVHA
Head of Programme Management Office Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin Sustainability and Transformation Programme Programme Director - Exchange Programme IFIC - Associate Fellow
Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin Sustainability and Transformation Programme - Health & Social Care System Wide
- England - West Midlands
- Mary Walker - Clinical Telehealth Program Manager
- Nick Goodwin - CEO, International Foundation for Integrated Care
- numerous staff too many to mention from across the VA Healthcare network
The exchange started by sharing the VHA’s transformation story, a clinically led large scale transformation that resulted in a decrease in acute care beds from around 88,000 to the 18,000 seen today, whilst improving quality outcomes – so just how is that possible?
The exchange has seen some 200 or so participants on both sides of the Atlantic benefit from shared learning and includes all staff from ward to board, including patients in every aspect of the programme.
Challenges facing both systems of care delivery include the following:
- Growing elderly population
- Reduced workforce availability
- Financial constraints
- Keeping up with technological advances
- Requirement to support people to self manage
We all understand the challenges, however delivering the transformational change is the holy grail of every large organisation. We know “What” to do, but “How” to go about it is the answer we are all looking for and more importantly how do we create a groundswell of motivation and enthusiasm in those receiving and providing care in the reality of the restrictive environments we are all living in.
This programme has taken a monumental step and has signed an MOU to allow exchanges of learning and ideas internationally all aimed at improving care of the populations whom we all serve. The programme has been led by the same people throughout, providing consistency and stability, widening the programme internationally is the next phase in which I really need help with.
The next steps are growing the participants to spread the learning through a distributed leadership approach, that impacts on culture, behaviours, understand of what’s possible, resulting in collaborative partnerships for transformational change that ultimately deliver better care.
An example of a recent agenda is attached, there are lots more materials that I am unable to attach due to file size.
How you can contribute
- 1. Finding the right participants to be involved in the programme and offer reciprocal learning is key
- 2. Increasing awareness of the Programmes availability
- 3. Pump priming of a number of key improvers to take part and to utilise their networks to spread the learning
2020VHA_ONLINE_10_06_15 (PDF, 670KB)