Skip to content

Lynne Dickson (She/her)

Senior Manager, Personalised Care

NHS England South West

Image of 'Lynne Dickson

Biography

60 Seconds interview

I have worked in the NHS for 32 years, initially within general practice where she held various roles from receptionist to fundholding manager.  From there I moved into PCG & PCTs providing project management support to Directors/Senior Managers and Chief Executive across a range of work programmes from risk management to human resources. As Corporate Services Manager for Property Services, she was responsible for the operational management of the support services teams across multiple corporate offices whilst delivering a focused maintenance/preventative estate programme. This role also included management responsibility of Lyngford House Conference Centre, Taunton where she managed the staff, business and a sensitive mothball programme to one of the familiar NHS building in Somerset. I joined NHS England in February 2016 and has been working in the nursing directorate as Quality Safety Lead overseeing all aspects of patient safety including serious incident reporting. I am passionate about working in the NHS and is dedicated to contributing to the quality and safety of healthcare service delivery.

What does your role involve?

Working within personalised care has given me a viewpoint that is unusual.  Bringing together those who use, provide and commission our health service to make improvements in outcomes for complex patient pathways using an integrated, whole system approach whilst maintaining a patient focus.

What's the biggest challenge in your job?

Reducing variation in services across the region and trying to bring equity in service delivery. No one service is delivered in the same way, even if there is more than one clinic being delivered by one provider – none of them deliver the service in the same way due to the requirements of their local area.   This can be frustrating for patients and understandable. Utilising the model of personalised care is one step to ensure that we are introducing an equitable approach for all.

What one thing would you change about your job?

Over the course of my 32 years’ service in the NHS, several roles I have had the pleasure to hold,  have allowed me be innovative in my approach to achieving change and I would love to speed up the time lag that change – small or large scale – can take within the NHS for all involved.

What would be your perfect day away from work?

A family day with all the children and grandchildren spending time together and being creative, walking on the levels and playing games!  As the mother of 5 children and grandmother to 7 (including triplets) we are always up to something. I really value my time with them all as time flies too quickly sometimes to appreciate each other and take time together.

What three things would you take on a desert island?

My cooker (I love a good cook out!), music (very eclectic but does include the Beatles – obviously!) and my grandchildren (they keep me young and on my toes!).

What’s the best holiday you’ve been on?

As I have a large family we are always planning holidays together whether they are staycations, a visit to Europe or further afield.   I have managed to visit Australia twice, Singapore and Vietnam and totally loved the adventure!

And finally, what would people be surprised to know about you?

I have secret days off!   When I want to do something – just for me, not the family, I book a ‘secret’ day off.  The family organiser will say I am in work when really I have planned a day at the spa or ladies that lunch special, or even an afternoon cinema treat!  Then I return home and catch up with the joys of a busy working day conversation.   Does me the power of good!

Q Exchange ideas

Contact Lynne Dickson

You need to be logged in to contact Q members.

If you are already a Q member, please log in using your account details.

If you are not a member, you can find out more about joining Q.