Meet the team: EPP Cymru
Person Centred Care Lead
1000 Lives Improvement Service, Public Health Wales
- Christine Roach
- Jennifer Jenkins
A short message system (SMS) platform that allows customised conversations between the ‘host organisation’ and the individual so that the impact of the programme/service can be measured quickly and efficiently. The communication platform will be used to measure the impact of the self-management programmes/services within Wales. The communication system has been developed in Wales, by Nudjed Ltd, as a tool to improve health outcomes through better patient communications. The SMS service provides better and more consistent engagement with individuals, and groups of patients. It also helps improve service outcomes through the analysis of quantitative data.
Evidence suggests that outcomes assessed and reported with SMS on mobile phones or with questionnaires completed with pen and paper provide comparable scores. However, the SMS method provided high response rates (> 97%) in a multicentre setting (Christie et al., 2014).
A small scale pilot has taken place in North Wales, where the Education Programmes for Patients (EPP) Cancer: Thriving and Surviving (CTS) course participants were asked a number of questions via the SMS service about the CTS course and its impact on their lives. The participants were asked questions at week 1, of the 6-week course (i.e. when they start the course), and the same questions after 3 months. The pilot of this approach has demonstrated very encouraging results about the impact of the CTS self-management programme and how effective the SMS platform is for harnessing customised patient communication, to deliver better self-management outcomes.
An SMS conversation platform provides a great opportunity to better demonstrate the outcomes and impact of self-management programmes/services, by:
- Better utilising customised patient communication
- Partnering with patients in a more efficient, effective, and timely manner to gain invaluable feedback on self-management programmes/services
- Better and more consistent engagement with individuals and groups of patients
- Helping improve patient and service outcomes through the analysis of quantitative data in a proactive manner
How you can contribute
- Questions about the idea to help clarify the early findings and how the idea could be progressed
- Any useful evidence around this type of SMS approach
- Advice on how to progress and scale-up the idea form its original pilot