Skip to content

Chris Hancock

Improvement Lead

NHS Executive, NHS Wales

Image of 'Chris Hancock

Biography

I am a patient safety advisor and improvement leader working in Welsh health and social care with a long and proven track record of achieving large scale, effective improvement.

Having successfully introduced and implemented Care Bundles into all Welsh Critical Care units in 2006 I went on to become an original member of the 1000 Lives Patient Safety Campaign team in 2008, and from 2010 to 2020 I managed the Global Sepsis Award winning Rapid Response to Acute Illness (RRAILS) Acute Deterioration programme.

As an important step in this project, I facilitated  the implementation of the National Early Warning Score (NEWS) as the standard in all acute Welsh hospitals by 2013, and in over 60 Welsh hospitals by 2015, the first large healthcare system in which this was achieved.

My background is in critical care nursing and clinical education, I have sat on the Expert Advisory Groups for the NCEPOD ‘Just Say Sepsis’ Study, the NPSA ‘Matching Michigan’ Study and the European Union IMPLEMENT Programme. I am a Fellow of the Scottish Patient Safety Programme (SPSP), completed the IHI Break Through Series Collaborative training in Cambridge Massachusetts in 2008, for ten years represented Wales on the UK National Outreach Forum (NOrF) Executive Board and, in 2019, received the RCN Wales ‘Nurse of the Year’ Award in the Individual and Population Health category.

From 2020 to 2023, during the pandemic, I worked in Welsh Government developing and implementing policy regarding  COVID-19, Patient Safety and the Welsh response to Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR).

Following my return to Improvement Cymru in May 2023, I have been working as the Improvement Lead for the Mid and South West Wales region.

Q Exchange ideas

Contact Chris Hancock

You need to be logged in to contact Q members.

If you are already a Q member, please log in using your account details.

If you are not a member, you can find out more about joining Q.