Skip to content

Q logo

Biography

Hi

I am the Patient Safety Improvement Lead at NUH and a Medic by background. I am peculiar in that I have deviated from the normal medical pathway into organisational safety and improvement. I lead on multiple improvement projects (failure to rescue, medicines, second victim, radiology etc.) and investigate Serious Incidents.

I lecture at the University of Nottingham (Assistant Professor) in Patient Safety and am a module lead on the local MSc in Quality and Patient Safety Improvement. http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/healthsciences/postgraduate/quality-and-patient-safety-improvement.aspx

I also have an MSc in Ergonomics/ Human Factors in Healthcare. My big passion is Human Factors analysis methods and techniques. I am experienced with the use of the Human Factors Analysis and Classification System and AcciMaps.

Q Exchange ideas

Talks offered

• Human Factors Analysis and Classification System

The Human Factors Analysis and Classification System (Shappell and Wiegmann, 2000) is a taxonomical framework that helps incident investigators identify both active and latent factors that contribute to the occurrence of untoward events. It aims to provide a robust, comprehensive and consistent approach to incident analysis, so that organisations can truly learn to improve. Originally developed in the field of aviation, the HFACS framework presented has been modified (including validation and reliability assessment) for use in acute-hospital Trusts in the UK by the author in collaboration with Dr Suzanne Shale. The presentation will look to share the framework, how to use it, and how recommendations for improvement can be extracted.

Contact Nicholas Woodier

You need to be logged in to contact Q members.

If you are already a Q member, please log in using your account details.

If you are not a member, you can find out more about joining Q.