Meet the team
Consultant in Anaesthesia and Critical Care, Designer of CPDmatch
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust, Golden-Haze Ltd
- England - North East and North Cumbria
- Helen Hixson
- Andy Caddell
- Stephan Hayward
- Helena Soares
What is the positive change that has emerged through new collaborations or partnerships during Covid-19 that your project is going to embed?
Healthcare education is advertised in both print media and across hundreds of websites and it is often difficult for professionals to find relevant local or online CPD. We do need however to reduce travel and engage with online education for reasons such as covid and the environment. Education is only of value if it can be found and the CPDmatch website/app facilitates this by accommodating adverts from NHS, independent and corporate organisations providing healthcare education so the 1.4 million NHS staff only have to access one website to find out what is happening locally and online.
The site was launched in Feb-2020, 6 weeks before Covid but we adapted and collaborated with numerous education providers across the UK to ensure healthcare professionals could continue to professionally develop during lockdown. The amount of education listed and site use is increasing and continued growth will help staff, patients and the environment.
What does your project aim to achieve?
The 3 objectives are:
- To enable all 1.4 million NHS healthcare professionals to easily find relevant, accessible and affordable online and on-site courses, conferences, study days and webinars.
- Through utilising geographic matching and accommodating online events, to reduce CPD associated travel and hotel stays (reducing the carbon cost of attending) and reduce the exposure of healthcare workers through face-2-face events.
- By providing a service which is free to global healthcare professionals, we aim to improve access to online education and webinars for individuals in low-resourced countries.
How will the project be delivered?
Following over 2 years of self-funded development and fund raising through seeking sponsorship/match grants, I launched the site in February 2020. In order to take the idea from concept to reality, I formed a team consisting of a software developer, marketing/brand agency and healthcare professionals. We were supported by numerous bodies including Health Education England (NENC), RTC, AHSN NE/NWC, Sunderland Software City and the Newcastle-Gateshead Initiative.
Software development and brand expertise with a dedicated project manager has ensured our development is focussed and efficient with maximal output for the invested finance. Feedback throughout the launch phase has enabled us to fine-tune the platform and improve the user-experience. Impact is measured through metrics such as organisation sign up, event numbers and Google Analytics. Risk is managed internally through collaboration between the stakeholders listed above and at present, this approach is working very well as we have an excellent relationship.
How is your project going to share learning?
The site is called CPDmatch as the goal was to match the education needs of 1.4 million NHS healthcare professionals with relevant, accessible and affordable on-site and online educational opportunities. We started off being fully inclusive, capturing all professions and ensuring that inequalities in access to education across the NHS were reduced. We have been fortunate to secure organisations such as Royal Colleges and Societies, large Associations and smaller, local CPD providers and are therefore able to provide an immediate service whilst formally testing our ethos.
We now understand that improving access to online events and webinars is not only good for the environment and for staff (avoiding gatherings due to covid) but is also important globally as through CPDmatch, organisations can effective advertise to healthcare staff in low-resourced countries and enable them to receive the same online education as professionals in the UK (“Global Online”).
How you can contribute
- Feedback on the concept - will this be of use to you?
- To test the site and provide feedback relating to User Experience - is it intuitive to use, how can we improve?
- To communicate the presence of the site to healthcare professionals in the UK and around the globe.
- To register and list any on-site or online events they are responsible for.
|3 Jan 2021||Start of final phase software development|
|31 Mar 2021||Completion of final phase software development|