Meet the team
Health Innovation Network South London
- England - London (South)
Head of Healthy Ageing
Health Innovation Network
- England - East
- Simone Akuffo-Akoto
- Jane Sproat
- Ezra Kanyimo
What is the positive change that has emerged through new collaborations or partnerships during Covid-19 that your project is going to embed?
Through the initial stages of the pandemic we quickly established across London we had a issue with the vast amount of communication that care providers were receiving from multiply channels, leading to care providers feeling overwhelmed. In response Healthy London Partnership (HLP) established a working group formed of health and social care professionals (including public health) and providers to pull together resources to support the delivery of care for care home residents. This enabled a trusted source of information to be collated and disseminated, with regular reviews ensuring information remains accurate, current and inclusive of new guidance. At present the information is stored on powerpoint slides with links to further information making this difficult to access for care providers. This partnership and resource can be developed and made more accessible to further meet the needs of those using it and build on existing relationships in the region.
What does your project aim to achieve?
- Explore and utilise creative and tailored approaches to presenting information to care staff, understand the needs of those using the pack to ensure information is in the most accessible format. For example this may mean exploring digital platforms using more interactive graphics and lesser amounts of text.
- Empower care staff to deliver high quality evidence based care by enabling clear signposting
- Improve the ease of access to training and resources to care staff (bearing in mind those who may not have English as a first language)
- Undertake a comprehensive evaluation to fit the scale of the project
- Review how this piece of work could be scaled and spread nationally.
How will the project be delivered?
This project would take the existing collaboration between health & care partners & providers a step further, developing and honing the resource ensuring it offers the best value for users and is sustainable. We will be deliberate in seeking a wide and diverse stakeholder group (building on existing membership) using our expertise in project management and networking to bring the collaborations. By codesigning the format & resources with users (including staff, carers and residents) we will understand the needs of the user and be better placed to understand how digital technology can help. HIN has strong links with both the national patient safety improvement programme for managing deterioration and national and regional enhanced health in care homes programmes. The work will be carefully evaluated throughout to understand and measure impact. The existing resource pack will be accessible until we are able to substitute it with the outputs from the project to mitigate risk.
How is your project going to share learning?
We will utilise the established networks created by Healthy London Partnership across health and social care in addition to regional and national public health, Association of Directors of Adult Social Services and NHS partners. By working with ‘Skills for Care’ we will learn from those with expertise in this field. We will further develop our knowledge and access to social care networks to ensure our work reaching those it could benefit. The national AHSN network will also help us share our learning and final product. We will use the Future NHS platform not only to reach out to others but to share our learning and shape future work.
How you can contribute
- We’d welcome support to develop our idea – this could come from all roles. Can you help us to link in with other teams who have created resources for care homes?
- Provide your insight from partnership work across health and care?
- Share other examples of digital resources that you have found easy to use?
- Has this work been done before, transforming written guidance into a different, interactive format, potentially digital?
- Ultimately, we’d love for you to share our idea and enable us to empower social care teams to have high quality, regionally focused and appropriate resources to support them to deliver great care.
|1 Mar 2021||Scoping, establishing network and user group, consider evaluation/measures|
|1 Jul 2021||Co design work to understand needs, test products and formats|
|1 Oct 2021||Pilot solution, respond to feedback and refine|
|1 Jan 2022||Implement, evaluate, share learning and consider spread.|