This half-day workshop aims to give practical support to practices and clusters in using quality improvement processes for patient safety.
It is aimed at GPs, practice-based pharmacists and practice nurses. It is suitable for participants will any level of experience in quality improvement – from beginners wondering where to start, to experts who are looking to pick up innovative ideas from their peers.
It will cover:
- Systematic approaches to developing a quality improvement culture in your practice or cluster
- Learning from variations in care quality, including prescribing patterns and patient safety incidents
- Using RCGP resources for quality improvement in patient safety
- Using all relevant information sources to improve patient safety and foster learning around quality improvement
The emphasis will be on interactive group working, so that participants can learn from each other as well as the speakers about what works and what doesn’t. Participants should bring with them any quality improvement resources that they have found particularly useful in their practice.
- David Mullett, RCGP Quality Improvement in Patient Safety Project Lead
- Andy Carson-Stevens, Head of Primary Care Patient Safety Research Group at Cardiff University
- Tommy Hunter, GP Partner at Barns Medical Practice, Ayr
12:00 – 13:00 Lunch and registration
13:00 – 13:15 Welcome / Introductions
13:15 – 14:15 Presentations
- RCGP Quality Improvement resources- David Mullett
- Practical approaches to quality improvement and patient safety- Andy Carson-Stevens
- Case study: audit of patient safety and prescribing in a Scottish practice- Tommy Hunter
14.30 – 14.50 Break
14:50 – 16:15 Group session: Running Quality Improvement practice meetings
- Participants will explore ideas for how to run a successful quality improvement programme and share their own practice: What information sources could feed into a Quality Improvement learning agenda? How do you run Quality Improvement meetings? How do you prioritise what to do first? How do you support everyone to contribute? How do you know that your ideas are working?
16:15 – 16:30 Feedback and close