Skip to content

Special Interest Group

Video consultations: how to set them up well, fast?

To post updates and access other group functionality, please log in. If you are not a Q member please create a guest account.

Latest group activity

• Latest blog on Video consultation #NearMe #Scotland 20 years in the making, part 2 (22/04/24). Focus on social care, group consultations, and enablers for rapid scale-up.

Near Me video consultation in Scotland: 20 years in the making! Part 2 – AHPs across health and social care. (wordpress.com)

• With the publication in January 2024 of the Near Me Final Report, Scottish Government’s Hazel Archer (Head of Programme) and Marc Beswick (Digital Education and Adoption Lead) look back on the evolution of video conferencing technology in the last 20 years with a focus on #NearMe (2016 to current). They celebrate how Near Me has transformed…Read more

• Maimie Thompson posted an update 1 month ago

Near Me Groups was launched in January 2022 to provide a facility to offer group video
    consultations in an environment purpose built to support the needs of both providers and
    members of the public. It replaced legacy video conferencing platforms and Microsoft teams
    for patient / client facing group communication.
    In addition to providing…Read more

•  

An Infographic on some of the benefits of using Video Consultations.

For more resources visit the website

Near Me | TEC Scotland

• Virtual A&E Response ‘Overwhelmingly Positive’ As Most Patients Say They’d Use It Again

Almost all patients who sought help through a virtual A&E service would use it again if they needed advice, care or support with their health, a survey has revealed. 

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde’s Flow Navigation Centre (FNC) provides direct access to emerg…Read more

• Maimie Thompson posted an update 3 months ago

Learning and Development

New eLearning Modules

Working in partnership with the Digitally Enabled Workforce Team in NHS Education for Scotland two eLearning Modules for use of Near Me have been published on Turas.

Module One is designed for people who are new to using Near Me or who require a refresher

New to Near Me video calls? eL…Read more

• Use of video calling in NHS Scotland: 1999 – 2023

This report provides an overview of the use of video consultations within NHS Scotland from its early introduction in the late 90’s, through the development of patient facing solutions, to the introduction of Attend Anywhere / Near Me and expansion to Social Care, Housing and wider public s…Read more

• British Journal of General Practice, January 2024

The place of remote consultation in modern general practice | British Journal of General Practice (bjgp.org)

• Maimie Thompson posted an update 4 months ago

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde’s Virtual Emergency department and NHS Grampian Oral Surgery Department have been shortlisted for  Scotland’s Digital Health and Care Scotland Awards on the 21st of February 2024. Use of Near Me video consultations has been integral to how they have redesigned and improved their services .

Digital Health and Care Aw…Read more

• Maimie Thompson posted an update 4 months ago

The Health Foundation published findings on exploring public attitudes toward the use of digital health technologies and data (24th November  2023). I asked Marc Beswick (Digital Education and Adoption Lead, Digital Health and care Directorate) to pick out highlights and reflect on some of the potential implications around use of technologies in…Read more

• In case the link did not work in my earlier post. Apologies.

*New date* How can we organise remote consultation services that are safe, effective and equitable? | Green Templeton College (ox.ac.uk)

• Green Templeton College, University of Oxford

“The first seminar of this year’s programme ‘How can we organise remote consultation services that are safe, effective and equitable?’ will be given by Professor Trish Greenhalgh.  

“The policy vision of remote consultations is of an efficient, safe and accessible remote service delivered through sta…Read more

• Digital Health and Care Scotland, 4th August

Care in the Digital Age: Delivery Plan 2023-24 Scottish Government and COSLA Scotland’s Digital Health and Care Strategy

The Near Me video consulting service continues to develop, providing 440,000 virtual appointments in the last year for those who prefer a remote consultation. Group consultations h…Read more

• Load more

About this group

In response to Covid-19, the health system plans to rapidly expand the use of video consultations.

The aim of this group is to share practical learning, tips and challenges when introducing this complex service change, and to learn from existing evidence.

We want this space to be helpful in progressing your work, rather than competing with it.

This group is convened by Jo Scott

Active members

• Photo of Joriam Ramos
  • Photo of Laura Neil (Stuart)
  • Photo of Robyn Lewes
  • Photo of Maria Dorthea Skov
  • Photo of Maimie Thompson
  • Photo of Clare Smith
  • Photo of Karen Jenkins
  • Photo of Liz Harrison