Skip to content

Special Interest Group

Decarbonisation within NHS Wales

The group is designed for those who want to discuss decarbonisation and related improvement ideas for Wales. During the COVID-19 pandemic, the world saw amazing improvements in the environment to show us what is possible. Decarbonisation can lead to huge gains in preventing and reducing ill-health.

To post updates and access other group functionality, please log in. If you are not a Q member please create a guest account.

Latest group activity

• Amy Semple posted an update 1 week, 2 days ago

Hi everyone – you may be interested in our QExchange proposal to reduce medicine waste whilst improving care for older people at potential risk of harm from multiple medicines.  If so please vote for us 🙂

Widening the conversations about medicines.

• Look out for this event on 5 Feb at 12:30 -13:30

How can we do environmentally sustainable health care?
    Join the Health Foundation for an update on their recent and future work on environmentally sustainable health care, and meet other members of the Q community.

In this lunchtime event, Caitríona, Charly and Tom from the Health Foundation’s su…Read more

• Happy New Year everyone!

Any New Years resolutions regarding decarbonisation at home or in your organisation?

• Happy New Year everyone

Current dilemma at home over recycling old pillows which are past being used for donating as too floppy or pet bedding but may be compostable or suitable for wild birds to use for nesting, just checking that out! Raised awareness around when buying new pillows explore eco friendly versions. Think buying things and…Read more

• Great point and scales to procurement in hospitals too.

• Andrew Ware posted an update 3 months ago

Happy Holidays and have a great New Year everyone!

For those in Public Health Wales, the date has been set for 22nd January for the first gathering of the CoP.

A registration link is on Yammer for internal PHW members, so please save the date!

• Talking about Environmental Public Health with Kristian James, –  Principal Environmental Public Health Scientist

With it being climate change awareness week, I thought that perhaps it would feel like preaching to the choir, so I have something a little different. 

Other PHW members who might have had this information in stereo, though its wi…Read more

•  

A bit of news for us in Wales – 

Bill to tackle air and noise pollution passed in the Senedd, supporting a cleaner, healthier and greener future 

https://www.gov.wales/bill-tackle-air-and-noise-pollution-passed-senedd-supporting-cleaner-healthier-and-greener-future

The World Health Organisation has described air pollution as the world’s larg…Read more

• Thanks for sharing, I am attending a Clean air day legacy workshop, led by environmental protection Scotland

Following Clean Air Day 2023 EPS is keen to extend this campaign to a series of year round legacy events and activities to maintain momentum and encouraging sustained behavioural change.
      To achieve this, we have organised an initial online…Read more

• Hi Hilda,

Absolutely. Thank you.
        While this group is made up of members across NHS Wales, there is a Community of Practice for Climate Change forming in the new year within Public Health Wales for their staff. This sounds like the ambitions and goals are very similar to what you are doing. Maybe some connections there are worthwhile?
        A few of…Read more

• Hi Andrew

Super, I will keep you in the loop of developments, my direct email is hilda@cope-scotland.org if you want to drop me an email means I can send anything on may be of interest and make e-introductions where appropriate.
      Have a lovely weekend
      Hilda

• Thanks for sharing! I really believe in such cases, the best possible solution is really policy and taxation. Happy to see this is happening.

• Andrew Ware posted an update 4 months ago

Sustainability: Is your organisation future-ready? – free webinar with the Open University. 

In this panel discussion hosted by BBC Bitesize Science Presenter and Civil Engineer, Ayo Sokale, we bring together a panel of experts to help provide clarity on how businesses can become future-ready and rise to the challenge of the climate crisis. T…Read more

• I am not sure if the resource in this piece may be helpful https://www.cope-scotland.org/mental-health-videos/entry/keeping-hope-alive-a-message-from-the-heart 

The aim of the Jigsaw lid toolkit is to identify the pieces different stakeholder groups have which would support decarbonisation ideas, then looking for areas of commonality which can…Read more

• Hello members!

Hope you are all keeping well.

In PHW there is an ideas portal called Simply Do, which I know is being used in other HB’s. They are specifically looking at capturing Climate change and decarbonisation ideas. 

I have been asked if I know of anyone in the Delivery unit or Health Education Improvement Wales who have or are…Read more

• With the many stressors on staff both within and out with work, it is no surprise at times we feel overwhelmed. Taking action to support net zero in work, can feel like something else to do, at a time when there is no time to do what needs done already! The simple tool in this piece can help create space for conversations to plan action on small…Read more

• Load more

About this group

This group is convened by Andrew Ware

The group is designed for those who want to discuss decarbonisation and related improvement ideas for Wales. During the COVID-19 pandemic, the world saw amazing improvements in the environment to show us what is possible. Decarbonisation can lead to huge gains in preventing and reducing ill-health.

The group will follow a Critical Social Learning System (CSLS) framework (Bawden), to braid inspirational and experiential learning; taking concrete experiences, insights and reflections from members and explore active applications and experimentations. Members can expect constructive feedback, exposure to an array of tools and methods borrowed from other social learning, improvement and development lineages.

This group is convened by Andrew Ware

Active members

• Photo of Joriam Ramos
  • Photo of Nuala Hampson (she/her)
  • Photo of Louise Smith
  • Photo of Frances Mortimer
  • Photo of Victoria Wallace
  • Photo of Katie Angus
  • Photo of Catherine Richards
  • Photo of Amy Semple