Farnaaz Sharief MBE
Clinical Lead for Mental Health and Elected Clinical Member Governing Body for the NHS Medway Clinic
NHS Medway CCG, Manage Your Mind (Community Interest Company)England - Kent, Surrey and Sussex
Having gained considerable experience in third world medicine, I moved to the UK, where I worked in several hospital jobs and subsequently settled in General Practice, a field that allowed me to work in the community, closer to people, as a dedicated member of several multi disciplinary teams.
I have a passion for mental health and have worked as a volunteer with a UK based charity for eighteen years. I subsequently set up a community interest company, Manage Your Mind, in Medway, Kent, that provides free weekly support to adults suffering from mild to moderate mental health conditions. This has been well received by thousands of local people, been shown to significantly reduce levels of Anxiety (by 80%) and Depression (by 78%) and has earned me 4 local and 2 national awards:
- 2018: An MBE (Member of the Order of The British Empire) for services to Mental Health
- 2017: National British Citizens Award for Healthcare (BCAh)
- 2017: University of Kent Sponsors Award for Community Service, Health and Hospital
- 2017: Pride of Medway Finalist, Community Service, Health and Hospital
- 2016: Barry Clout Award: Shortlisted
- 2014: Pride of Medway Nomination for Community Service
ITV also reported on the numerous benefits of Manage Your Mind in this special report. See: http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/update/2017-05-17/struggling-with-stress/
My Role as an Elected Governing Body Member and Mental Health Lead within the NHS Medway Clinical Group has allowed me to expand my skill in this area, work closely with patients, commissioners and the local mental health service to improve patient pathways and strengthen the working relationship between primary and secondary care.
Areas of interest
- Mental health
- Primary care