Skip to content

Emma Sutton

Clinical Academic Lead (NMAHPS) University Hospitals Birmingham (from April 2022), Associate Professor University of Birmingham (Since Oct 2022), and Physiotherapist, University Hospitals Leicester

University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust

Image of 'Emma Sutton

Biography

After completing my PhD with the University of Leicester at the SAPPHIRE (Social Science APPlied to Healthcare Improvement REsearch) group, I went on to complete my clinical lectureship at the University of Warwick Clinical Trials Unit. In this split lectureship I also worked as a physiotherapist in the Walsgrave hospital (UHCW) gym rehabilitating patients with hip and knee pain, and as an Extended Scope Practitioner (ESP) in orthopaedic outpatients at Rugby Hospital of St Cross. This means working alongside a consultant to identify a diagnosis, reach agreement on treatment and check over post-operative patients. I then became an Assistant Professor at Coventry University developing their first multi professional and cross-HEI research placement as well as teaching Physiotherapy across all undergraduate and postgraduate routes including Apprenticeships. I am now clinical-academic lead for NMAHPS at University Hospitals Birmingham and Associate Professor of Advanced Practice and Implementation Science at University of Birmingham. I chair the West Midlands Hub for the Council for Allied Health Professions Research, and I chair the SIG for the Fragility Fracture Networks Hip Fracture Recovery Research Group. I have led the development of a special collaborative journal supplement on QI in Fragility Fracture between the FFN and BMJ Open Quality - we have a collection of papers from around the globe and are due to publish spring 2023.  I have dedicated my career to make lasting improvements in quality and safety for surgical patients and to promote opportunity and excellence for NMAHPS striving towards clinical-academic careers.

Q Exchange ideas

Contact Emma Sutton

You need to be logged in to contact Q members.

If you are already a Q member, please log in using your account details.

If you are not a member, you can find out more about joining Q.