Skip to content

Elena Sheldon

Research Associate / Study Manager

School of Health and Related Research, The University of Sheffield

Image of 'Elena Sheldon

Biography

Research Associate and Study Manager at ScHARR, The University of Sheffield

Study Manager of AWARE-IBD, as one of only four projects to be funded under a new Health Foundation programme called Common Ambition. The aim of the 3-year project is to re-design IBD services, shaped by those who use them – people with Crohn’s and Colitis. We aim to put patients in control of their care by i) co-designing a structure to enable them to tell care teams what is important to them; and ii) making that visible in multidisciplinary care team meetings and patient consultations, to optimise care.

With the support of Crohn’s & Colitis UK, working with Microsystem Coaching Academy (MCA), ScHARR and VoiceAbility, the project will bring patients, clinicians and commissioners together to define purpose, understand priorities, map processes, examine patterns in data and steer service redesign. A Patient Oversight Committee will feedback and steer the process throughout.
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/scharr/research/centres/ctru/aware-ibd

My research interests are university student mental health
Sheldon, E., Simmonds-Buckley, M., Bone, C., Mascarenhas, T., Chan, N., Wincott, M., ... & Barkham, M. (2021). Prevalence and risk factors for mental health problems in university undergraduate students: a systematic review with meta-analysis. Journal of affective disorders.

With an Associate Fellowship in Higher Education Teaching (AFHEA), I supervise masters student dissertation projects, tutor for the Introduction to Research Methods module and co-supervise medical student research attachments.

Prior to this, I worked as a Research Assistant on two multi-centre CTIMPs at the Clinical Trials Research Unit at ScHARR. I've also worked as a Paediatric Research Assistant in the Clinical Research Facility at Sheffield Children’s Hospital.

Q Exchange ideas

Contact Elena Sheldon

You need to be logged in to contact Q members.

If you are already a Q member, please log in using your account details.

If you are not a member, you can find out more about joining Q.