Skip to content

Clare Smith

Clinical Transformation and Quality Lead Clinical Academic Speech and Language Therapist

Solent NHS Trust

Image of 'Clare Smith

Biography

I am a community children's speech and language therapist and the clinical transformation and quality lead for children's community physical and developmental health services in Solent NHS Trust.

I graduated from UCL in 2000 and after a year in a mixed adult / community role in Luton, moved to the South Coast with my family and have worked in children's community health services ever since. I have undertaken various roles managing services incorporating community paediatric medical services, community children's services and children's therapy services (physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech and language therapy and podiatry).

I am interested in neurodevelopmental disorders and studied the early development of language for my PhD, which I gained from the University of Surrey in 2015. I am particularly interested in the social determinants of health and health inequality.

I am a passionate advocate of Quality Improvement and using QI methodology to transform and develop services. I joined the Q community after developing an integrated supervision model to support the delivery of a health promotion service for language development in Children's Centres. Since then I have supported the embedding of Quality Improvement in my service, in various roles, including an interim spell as Head of Quality and Professions, and in my current role as Clinical Transformation and Quality Lead. I also lead the Children and Families' service line's Quality Improvement and Clinical Effectiveness group and Advancing Clinical Practice Group.

Q Exchange ideas

• Neurodevelopmental Pathway Resource Portal

The project will create an online platform connecting services for Neurodiversity across CAMHS, Parent groups, and wider services. This will help families access information at every step of the ND pathway. 

• One Big Front Door for children’s community health.

When families are concerned about their child's development, they currently need multiple referrals to get help. This project aims to build one route to help from a range of services.

Blog posts

• Co-designing streamlined care for children’s services

Consultant speech and language therapist, Clare Smith, shares the successes and challenges experienced in working towards creating a single point of access to children’s services in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight as part of their Q Exchange project in 2023.

Contact Clare Smith

You need to be logged in to contact Q members.

If you are already a Q member, please log in using your account details.

If you are not a member, you can find out more about joining Q.