Skip to content

Charlie Merrick

Senior Improvement Manager National Patient Safety Team

National Patient Safety Team NHSImprovement

Image of 'Charlie Merrick

Biography

I am been working in Quality Improvement for 6 years. I started at the Royal Free NHS foundation Trust leading on the implementation of Q.I within theatres. This consisted around the quality of the WHO checklist and reduction in surgical never events and harm. I also supported and managed the implementation of Streams, which was a mobile App co-created by Google DeepMind to recognise patients with acute kidney injury.

After this I support East London Foundation Trusts Quality Assurance team which looked at reviewing their internal assurance processes which make them and exemplar organisation. I led on patient experience and the CQC readiness programme.

From East London I moved to UCLH and oversaw a large improvement programme within UCLH emergency services division, consisting of a large Emergency Department and Acute Medical Unit. This programme has 18 workstreams using both programme and project management and Quality Improvement to improve the performance and level of care for a large populous in North London.

My role within the national patient safety team is to develop the co-design of national interventions to improve clinical outcomes for Maternity and Neonatal services.
Working with national clinical directors in developing research and innovative processes to support NHS England’s & NHS Improvement’s patient safety strategies.
Testing and implementing national workstreams into complex clinical settings using improvement methodologies.
Leading regional teams in designing frameworks and metrics for evaluating patient outcomes.
Design and deliver national training programmes to build capacity and capability.

Q Exchange ideas

Contact Charlie Merrick

You need to be logged in to contact Q members.

If you are already a Q member, please log in using your account details.

If you are not a member, you can find out more about joining Q.