Skip to content

Barry Appleton

Consultant surgeon and clinical lead for Quality Improvement

Abertawe Bro-Morgannwg University Health Board, Princess of Wales Hospital

Image of 'Barry Appleton

Biography

I am a colorectal surgeon working in the Princess of Wales Hospital, Bridgend. I was trained at Cambridge University and qualified in 1991. Post graduate training was in East Anglia, Wessex, and Wales within the UK and then completed with a yearlong colorectal surgical Fellowship at Flinders Medical Centre, Adelaide, South Australia. I have served as South Wales Chapter Representative for the Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland, South Wales Multidisciplinary Team Network lead for colorectal cancer and have acted as Foundation Programme Director and Faculty for Medical Education representative for my hospital. I am a founding member of the South Wales Laparosopic Colorectal Training faculty and co-developer of a unique ex-vivo course for trainees learning laparoscopic right hemicolectomy.  I was instrumental in founding the Welsh National Enhanced Recovery After Surgery Programme and am currently involved with work trying to see if this can be expanded into emergency surgery.  In 2013-14, I was privileged to work as Health Foundation Quality Improvement Fellow at the Institute for Healthcare Improvement and Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, USA.  During this fellowship, I completed IHI’s Patient Safety Officer and Improvement Advisor training and have used this experience to take on role as Health Board Clinical Lead for Quality Improvement since my return.

Q Exchange ideas

Contact Barry Appleton

You need to be logged in to contact Q members.

If you are already a Q member, please log in using your account details.

If you are not a member, you can find out more about joining Q.