Skip to content

Andrew Carson-stevens

Professor of Patient Safety and Quality Improvement

Division of Population Medicine, Cardiff University

Image of 'Andrew Carson-stevens

Biography

I am an academic general practitioner and health services researcher leading research and pedagogical advances in how health and social care organisations learn from unsafe care experienced by patients and families.

I founded and convene the Patient Safety Research Group (the 'PISA group') in the Division of Population Medicine, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, and our portfolio of research is supported by NIHR, Health Foundation, THIS Institute, Cancer Research UK, Health and Care Research Wales and includes:

• investigating the frequency and avoidability of significant harm in healthcare;
  • identifying patient safety priority areas from analysis of patient safety data;
  • methodological innovation for sharing learning from medical error within and between countries including the development of taxonomy;
  • development and implementation of interventions to minimise harm to patients in health and social care settings; and,
  • mixed methods evaluation of quality improvement initiatives.

Across Cardiff University, I convene the Welsh Ergonomics and Safer Patients Alliance (WESPA), an interdisciplinary group of researchers (School of Medicine, Cardiff Business School, School of Engineering) and clinicians undertaking research and service evaluation to enable innovation and implementation of practices to improve patient safety in healthcare.

Q Exchange ideas

Contact Andrew Carson-stevens

You need to be logged in to contact Q members.

If you are already a Q member, please log in using your account details.

If you are not a member, you can find out more about joining Q.