Skip to content

Amaara Khan

Directorate Manager - Integrated Children’s Community Services

Northern Care Alliance

Image of 'Amaara Khan

Biography

I joined the NHS in 2014, having spent ten months in India: a country in which healthcare was privatised. In my experience, you had to have insurance or a receipt to get what was needed for you regardless of the accident or emergency.

I worked closely with two NGOs that supported women by providing remedial healthcare or by raising funds for surgery.

We raised funds for Sumayya, a 28 year old pregnant lady that needed an elective c section at 36 weeks because she had placenta previa. On the day, there were several delays before she was taken in. Sumayya experienced blood loss but she didn't receive a transfusion until receipts were shown that they were paid for. She needed a £400 injection not once but twice. Again, only upon receipt. When they didn't work, we (what was now becoming a community of concerned friends and family) were advised that there was another injection - double the cost - at another hospital that they could try. A family friend went and got this only to return to find that this too did not help.

Sumayya did not survive. I will never forget seeing her that morning nervous and excited. The costs didn't end there. There were costs to release her body and of course the costs of baby Ilham who was in NICU for a further 10 days.

I couldn't believe that life without the NHS meant for people. This level of gratitude is what has compelled me to commit to optimising the NHS offer through QI and transformative work.

Having worked in the area of improvement and commissioning, I will be embarking on a role in operationally managing the Children's Community Services this September. I look forward to learning and applying what ever I can through this group:)

Q Exchange ideas

Contact Amaara Khan

You need to be logged in to contact Q members.

If you are already a Q member, please log in using your account details.

If you are not a member, you can find out more about joining Q.